Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Just to prove that I hadn't died.....

I've been busy doing loads of things over the last week or so, but I still managed to make it onto the pages of the Guardian Blog, which was quite cool....
I also went to see Turin Brakes at the Forum in Kentish Town, at which i was somewhat haunted by the ghosts of my past. As I sat in the balcony, watching the gig (very good, as it happens) all I could think of were the myriad occasions I'd been through the venues doors over the years. I can remember sneaking in to watch Tackhead, still sweating from a Jesus Jones gig at the Bull & Gate next door, moshing to the Pixies on a wave of almost pure euphoria in 1987, watching Coldplay play a Xmas gig there and thinking "Next year they'll be the biggest band in the world" (and next year, they were)...Seeing the Wonderstuff, the Voice Of The Beehive....so many gigs....
And, of course, all the times that we played there. We sold out a couple of nights in 1989, and held both the merchandise record and the bar record, which was rather cool. I think the merch record stood for about 10 years, the bar record for about 7 :)
The first floor bar is just across from the old Tea room, where we had a presentation to award us with gold and silver discs for "Doubt" and silver discs for "Liquidiser" . I can remember hitching a lift home with my mate Paul, in his old Renault van later on that night, and everyone had a disc on their lap, as we swerved round the roads of North London....

No comments: