Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Just One Word.

Today, I'm in love with the power that one word can have. As proof, I offer you "S.O.S." By Abba. There's a point just after the middle eight where the chorus lyrics change from: "..The love you gave me, nothing else can save me.." To: "...AND the love you gave me, nothing else can save me.." One word. Just one word. Slays me, every single time.
Remember, sometimes it's not about the content of the words, but recognizing they have an inchoate power, learning to harness that power...And then sitting back with a smile on your face as it slays mere mortals like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way on this. I could be wrong but I think that there's another example of this in "God only knows" by the Beach Boys - I'll check it out when I get home. I think its all down to increasing the inertia of the song and its more subtle than a key change but achieves the same aim (disappears up own bottom).